.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A layman's view on interior design.

2006-06-16

Going blinds

Curtains have always had a strong presence in Sweden. In contrast to countries like the UK where the standard MO seems to be to show as little as possible of the inside, presenting a nicely framed interior using curtains has been the way to go in our country of (or lack of) Nordic light. I keep coming back to one of my favorite topics and here I go again: the professionalisation of the private sphere. What I mean by that is when products or behaviors from the professional sector start appearing in our homes, for example the espresso machine or the full-size steam press for the pants. This time it's happening to the curtains. More and more - me included - is looking for something else to frame our windows with. We have huge windows in our living room and we were reluctant to lose our view with traditional curtains. On the other hand we wanted to be able to bring down the direct sun light to a minimum some days. We decided to use a typical office solution with large white vertical blinds that filter the light and shield the room from heat. Told you: office -> home. I know, you'd think that it'd look kind of sterile but I think it looks clean and modern. There are a lot of niche sites, like those all about blinds and even blogs, helping along this trend that I think is here to stay.

See? Not sterile!
Vertical blinds

8 Comments:

Blogger Mark Cutler said...

Hi, I read your column with great interest. I am an interior designer from los angeles and i was dismayed by your observations. I am a huge fan of drapery, I think that beyond the functional aspect they also create a softness that is not necessarily traditional, if done in the right way. Also, if you use the right fabric it can take the acoustic edge off of a room ,and make it audibly softer and warmer. While I respect your opinion I did think the vertical blinds looked a bit sterile. I do have some images I could post of modern spaces that were greatly improved by drapery, let me know if you would love to see it.

3/02/2007 06:58:00 AM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

Hi Mark, obviously you know what you're talking about. By all means post images if you like. Thanks for your comment.

3/08/2007 09:51:00 PM

 
Blogger GlobalWarming.org.in said...

I've been reading your site for quite some time now and I'm going to add a link on my site to yours.

What would you like the title of your link to be?

Scott
Interior Design // www.Grolt.com

3/11/2007 09:26:00 AM

 
Blogger Kenneth said...

Hi Scott, I like your site. Just name the link "Interioer", please.

3/11/2007 10:55:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kenneth

I noticed your design with vertical blinds.

I tend to associate these with offices rather than homes. However we've had situations were drapery was not practical. (For example no space around the window.)

I prefer panel blind systems like those by Rol-lite http://www.rol-lite.co.uk/blinds/panelblind.htm

All the best

Bronia

Bronia Suszczenia is co-founder and Creative Director of Art from the Start Ltd a firm of interior designers in York, England

6/02/2007 05:04:00 PM

 
Anonymous Amara said...

Whilst I'm not an expert, I think the curtains/ blinds debate is an interesting issue, and think that, as with lots of interior design issues, there are no set answers - blinds don't always need to create a 'sterile' feel, and curtains don't necessarily have to look too traditional/impractical. It's all about being innovative and thinking of a new twist on a theme!

8/29/2007 11:48:00 AM

 
Blogger Earn Money Online said...

hi!

what do you think which vertical blinds are good: roller or strips

please let me know.

Hitesh.

http://bangaloreofficeinteriors.com/

2/06/2008 07:42:00 PM

 
Anonymous Chennai Office Interiors Home Interiors Designing in chennai said...

Thanks for the nice post. that we are office Interiors in chennai, home Interiors in chennai and Interiors Designing in chennai .That I will inform about your post to my friends and all the best for your future post..

1/05/2012 11:49:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home